- 2 eggplants
- Olive oil, to shallow-fry
- 1/2 cup plain flour
- 3 eggs, lightly beaten
- 500 g jar pasta sauce
- 1/2 cup basil, chopped, plus extra leaves to serve
- 220 g ctn traditional bocconcini, thinly sliced
- 1 cup parmesan, coarsely grated
- 1/2 cup fresh breadcrumbs, made from day-old bread
- Baby spinach leaves, to serve
- Preheat oven to 220°C or 200°C fan. Cut eggplants lengthways into 1cm-thick slices. Sprinkle with salt. Stand in a colander for 20 minutes. Rinse and pat dry with paper towel.
- Heat oil in a large frying pan over medium heat. Place flour and egg in shallow dishes. Dip eggplant in flour, then egg. Shake off excess. Cook in batches for 2-3 minutes each side. Transfer to a plate lined with paper towel.
- Spread a little sauce in a 20cm x 28cm ovenproof dish. Top with 1 layer of eggplant. Top with one-third of the sauce, basil, bocconcini and parmesan. Continue layering with remaining eggplant, sauce, basil and cheeses. Top with breadcrumbs. Bake for 15-20 minutes or until golden. Top with extra basil. Serve with spinach.